Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Easter Cupcakes

It is our family's tradition to have Easter just the 4 of us.  My husband made an amazing dish - with a gravy that literally makes you want to lick the plate (because I did).  I took on Easter dessert.  At Christmas my husband set me up with a whole bunch of baking tools including a few cookbooks.  One is The Big Book of Cupcakes - Betty Crocker.  One of the cupcakes is a cupcake that has different colored layers.  Their recipe called for coconut extract (but I don't like coconut) so I just made a vanilla cupcake.  Their recipe also called for fluffy white frosting.  However mine was disastrous.  I burned the mix and then melted a plastic spatula in the mix, then I let the mix sit too long in the pot while it cooled so it hardened in the pot.  Basically I shouldn't try that recipe again without supervision.  So in the end I made a multi-colored layered vanilla cupcake with cream cheese frosting topped with M&Ms.  In order to make the different colored layers I made the cake mix then divided into four bowls for each of the food colors I had.  I picked a color for the bottom layer and used a teaspoon to transfer the mix from the bowl to the pan.  I used the back of the spoon to smooth the cake mix.  Just be careful you don't mix the colors when going from bowl to bowl.  I continued until all the layers were done (or I had 12 cupcakes).








Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment